Veterans Day is a time to honor and thank the men and women who have served in the United States military. It is also a time to reflect on the sacrifices that they have made, both during their service and after.
Many veterans transition to civilian life after their service, and many of them enter the workforce. As an employer, you can play a role in supporting your veteran employees and helping them to succeed.
Here are a few tips:
- Recognize and celebrate veterans. On Veterans Day and throughout the year, take the time to recognize and celebrate your veteran employees. This shows that you appreciate their service and sacrifice. Consider hosting a Veterans’ Day lunch or reception to show your employees how much you appreciate their service.
- Educate yourself and your employees about the unique experiences of veterans. The military is a very different environment from the civilian workplace, and veterans may have unique needs and challenges. By understanding what veterans have been through, you can better support them.
- Create a welcoming and inclusive workplace. Make sure that your veterans feel welcomed and respected in your workplace. This includes having a zero-tolerance policy for discrimination and harassment.
- Provide flexible work arrangements. Veterans may need time off for military-related obligations, such as medical appointments or training. Be willing to work with your veteran employees to find flexible work arrangements that meet their needs.
- Offer support for mental health and well-being. Many veterans need mental health support, for challenges such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Offer your employees access to mental health resources and support groups. Below you will find a list of helpful resources to share.
- Offer employee resource groups (ERGs) for veterans. ERGs can provide a supportive community for veteran employees and help them to connect with each other.
Resources for veterans:
- Florida Veterans Support Line: 1-844-MyFLVet (1-844-693-5838) or dial 211
- Veterans Crisis Line: Dial 988 then Press 1; text 838255; or chat online – Home (veteranscrisisline.net)
- Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs Mental Health and Substance Abuse: Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs | Connecting veterans to federal and state benefits they have earned. (floridavets.org)
- Mental Health America’s Military Mental Health resources: Military Mental Health | Mental Health America (mhanational.org)
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Mental Health resources: Mental Health Home (va.gov)
- Connect with Stories of Help and Hope: Make the Connection | Videos & Info for Military Veterans
- Roger – Modern Mental Wellness for the Military Community: Modern Mental Wellness for the Military Community – Roger (goroger.org)
- Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors: Tragedy Assistance Program For Survivors (TAPS) Is Here For You!